Please select below
Website Maintained by:
Rev. Scott Yates, 615-274-3199
Fall Meeting –Sunday, October 23, 2011 – 3:00 PM
Reverend Dwight Liles, Host Pastor
The Meeting of Columbia Presbytery began with Rev. Bill Rolman introducing Licentiate Tommy Clark, a ministerial student at Memphis Theological Seminary. Rev. Dwight Liles served as instrumentalist and Elder Sam Suddarth led the Presbytery in singing “Holy, Holy, Holy.” Licentiate Clark read from I Corinthians 7:17–24 and his message was very challenging to the entire body. We are called for a reason and are to be busy doing God’s work in the world. We are to stay focused. Elder Sam Suddarth led Presbytery in singing “His Way with Thee” and Rev. Sherry Ladd led Presbytery in prayer.
Call to order:
Following the devotional, the Moderator, Rev. Robert Mullenix, called the meeting of Presbytery to order..
The Stated Clerk reported that a quorum was present with 25 Ministers, 1 Licentiate, 1 Candidate and 26 Session Delegates. See Appendix “A”
Receive and grant letters of dismission
The Clerk read a letter from Murfreesboro Presbytery for Rev. Lawrence Kelly. On motion, the letter was received and the name of Rev. Lawrence Kelly was entered upon the Roll of Ministers in Columbia Presbytery.
The Clerk read a letter from West Tennessee Presbytery for Rev. Dr. Roger Reid. On Motion the letter was received and the name of Rev. Roger Reid was entered upon the roll of ministers in Columbia Presbytery.
The Clerk read a letter from Rev. Jack Barker, asking to be excused follow the dinner recess. On motion, the request was granted.
On motion Rev. David McGregor was excused due illness. He had been in the hospital this past week.
On motion, Presbytery excused Champ, Swan, and. the Lawrenceburg Sessions.
The following visitors were recognized:
Sherry Henson, representative of Memphis Theological Seminary, Edith Old, Director of Ministries of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and Rev. Pat Fife member of Tennessee Georgia Presbytery. On motion, Rev. Fife was seated as an advisory member.
Rev. Dwight Liles, Host Pastor, welcomed Presbytery to the Mt. Joy Church and mention the facilities that were available.
Moderator appoints Resolutions Committee
The Moderator appointed Elder Jimmy Campbell, Elder Robert Spence, Licentiate Tommy Clark and Rev. Kirk Smith to the Resolutions Committee.
Election of Moderator
The Moderator opened the floor for nominations for the election of a Moderator for this meeting of Presbytery.
Rev. Terry Kinnaman was nominated and on motion was elected by acclamation.
The Stated Clerk presented Rev. Joe Wiggins with an inscribed gavel in appreciation of his leadership in the fall 2010 meeting of Presbytery, (The clerk failed to bring the gavel to the spring meeting of Presbytery.), and to Rev. Robert Mullenix in appreciation of his leadership in the spring 2011 Meeting of Presbytery.
Election of Vice Moderator
The Rev. Troy Green was nominated for vice Moderator and on motion was elected by acclamation.
Representatives of the General Assembly and other agencies
Sherry Henson, representing Memphis Theological Seminary, addressed Presbytery about the success and ministry of the Seminary.
Edith Old, Directory of Ministries of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, told Presbytery about the work of the Ministry Council and noted that there are vacancies with the Council.
The Clerk called attention of everyone to the Summary of Actions of the General Assembly that was included in packet of materials.
The Clerk directed the attention of everyone to the Amendment to the Constitution handed down by the General Assembly. On motion, Presbytery approved the Constitutional Amendment.
The Clerk directed the attention of Presbytery to the Resolution passed down by the General Assembly. It was referred to the Committee on Theology and Social Concerns and the Board of Missions.
The Paper handed down from the General Assembly entitled “Reflection” was referred to the Committee on Theology and Social Concerns.
The clerk read a letter from Dr. Dwayne Cole asking to be placed on the Honorably Retired list of Ministers. On motion the request was granted.
Rev. Jack Barker verbally requested to be placed on the Honorably Retired list of Ministers. On motion the request was granted.
The clerk read a letter from Rev. David McGregor, inviting Columbia Presbytery to meet with the McCains Church at the next available date. Presbytery last met with the McCains Church in April 1967. On motion, Presbytery accepted the invitation from the McCains Church to host the fall meeting of Presbytery, October 28, 2012.
The Clerk read a letter from Rev. Jimmy Campbell resigning his position on the Crystal Springs Board of Directors. On motion, Presbytery accepted the resignation and thanked him for his service to Crystal Springs Camp.
The Clerk read a letter from Trinity Presbytery, addressed to all of the Presbyteries in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, announcing the fact that it will nominate Dr. Robert Rush for the Moderator of General Assembly in June 2012.
The Clerk read a letter from Rev. Fonda Blair informing Presbytery that the Grace Church wants to change its name to Grace Fellowship (a Cumberland Presbyterian Church). This was referred to the Presbyterial Council.
Reports of the elected officers and Council
· Moderator’s Report: Rev, Robert Mullenix presented the Report of the Retiring Moderator. On motion, the Report was received, labeled Appendix “B” and filed.
· Treasurer’s Report: Rev. Trotter presented the Treasurer’s report for January 15--September 9, 2011, on motion the Report was received, marked Appendix “C” and filed.
· Stated Clerk’s Report: Rev. Trotter presented the Stated Clerk’s Report on 2011 Year of the Clergy. On motion, the Report was concurred in and the recommendations adopted, marked Appendix “D“ and filed.
The Moderator requested the Vice Moderator, Rev. Troy Green, to take the chair so he could present the Report of the Presbyterial Council.
· Presbyterial Council: Rev. Terry Kinnaman presented the Report of the Presbyterial Council. On motion the report was concurred in and the recommendation adopted, labeled Appendix “E“ and filed.
Rev. Kinnaman resumed the Moderator’s position.
· General Assembly Commissioners: Rev. Bill Rolman presented the Report of the General Assembly Commissioners. On motion, the Report was received, labeled Appendix “F “ and filed.
Reports of the Program Boards
· Board of Finance: Rev. Calvin Lunn presented the report of the Board of Finance. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the report and adopted the recommendations The Report was labeled Appendix “G“ and filed.
· Board of Missions: Rev. Robert Mullenix presented the Report of the Board of Missions. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the report and adopted the recommendations. The Report was labeled Appendix “H“ and filed.
· Second Report Board of Missions: Rev. Mullenix presented a second report of the Board of Missions pertaining to the installation service for Dr. Roger Reid at the Lewisburg Church. On motion, the report was received and the recommendation adopted and labeled Appendix “I” and filed.
· Board of Christian Education: Rev. Dwight Liles presented the Report of the Board of Christian Education. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the report and adopted the recommendations. The Report was labeled Appendix “J“ and filed..
Reports of the Program Committees
· Committee on the Ministry: Rev. Bill Rolman presented the Report of the Committee on the Ministry. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the report and adopted the recommendations The report was labeled Appendix “K “ and filed.
Presbytery was given the opportunity to question Candidate Paul Tucker and some gave testimony about him and his work. It was noted that Paul was recently married. After this time of questions/affirmations Paul was licensed. Rev. Rolman asked the questions to Paul as stated in the Confession of Faith. Paul answered all in the affirmative. Rev. Rolman asked Mr. Nolan Hatfield to come forward. Mr. Rolman introduced Nolan as a candidate for ministry. Opportunity was given for questions and affirmations on his behalf by Presbyters. Nolan shared his inter Faith and told of the events that led him to pursue candidacy for minister in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Rev. Rolman asked the question from the Confession of Faith for persons wanting to become a candidate in Columbia Presbytery. Nolan answered in the affirmative and his name will be entered as a Candidate for Ministry on the Presbyterial roll. Presbytery stood and Rev. Rolman led the prayer and Licentiate Tommie Clark was invited to come forward and to stand with Nathan Tucker and Nolan Hatfield as members of Presbytery extend hands of Christian fellowship to each.
· Committee on Heritage/Judiciary Concern: Rev. Wendell Trotter presented the Report of the Committee on Heritage/Judiciary Concerns. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the report. It was labeled Appendix “L“ and filed.
· Committee on Theology and Social Concerns: Rev. Scott Yates presented the Report of the Committee on Theology and Social Concerns. On motion, Presbytery received the report The report was labeled Appendix “M “ and filled.
· Committee on Pastoral Care Committee: Rev. Tim Smith presented the Report of the Committee on Pastoral Care and Concerns. On motion, Presbytery concurred in the Report and adopted the recommendation The Report was labeled appendix “N“ and filed.
· Committee on Nominations: Rev. Bill Rolman presented the Report. On motion, the Report was received placing the names of those listed in nomination for the positions named. The Report was labeled Appendix “O “ and filed.
The Moderator called for other nominations. There being none, Presbytery elected those listed in the report to the positions named.
2012 Delegates to Synod Chosen
On motion, Presbytery elected the following ministers and elders to represent Presbytery at the meeting of Synod in May.
Ministers: Rev. Terry Kinnaman, Rev. Jonathan Watson
Alternates: Rev. Bill Rolman, Rev. Sherry Ladd
Elders: Beverly Switzer, from Grace and Sam Suddarth from Jenkins
Alternates: Brenda Howell, Ash Hill Church and David Gilreath, Mt. Carmel Church
Reports of Commissions
· Lawrenceburg Church/Peyton Installation Commission: Rev. Calvin Lunn presented the Report of the Lawrenceburg Church/Jimmy Peyton Installation Commission. On motion, Presbytery received the report and dismissed the Commission. The Report was labeled Appendix “P “ and filed.
· Report of the Lawrenceburg Church Commission: Rev. Calvin Lunn presented the Report of the Lawrenceburg Commission. On motion, the Report was received and the Commission dissolved. The report was labeled Appendix “Q “ and filed.
· Report of the Jenkins Church/Jonathan Watson installation Commission: Rev. Troy Green presented the Report of the Jenkins Church/Jonathan Watson Installation Commission. On motion, the Report was received and the Commission dismissed. The Report was labeled Appendix “R “ and filed.
· Report of the Grace Church/Fonda Blair installation Commission. Rev. Jimmy Miller presented the Report of the Grace Church/Fonda Blair installation Commission. On motion, Presbytery received the report and the Commission was dismissed. The Report was labeled Appendix “S “ and filed.
Selection of Next Meeting Place
The Spring Presbytery, May 1, 2011, accepted the invitation from the Mt. Carmel Church to host the spring Presbytery Sunday, April 22, 2012.
As per earlier action, Presbytery accepted the invitation of the McCains Church to host the fall meeting of Presbytery, Sunday, October 28, 2012.
There were no other invitations.
Recess for the evening meal
The Moderator declared that the appointed hour, 5:15 PM, had arrived for the evening meal and led Presbytery in the prayer of thanksgiving. He announced that Presbytery will resume at 6:00 PM. Presbytery stood in recess at 5:15 PM.
Recess out, the Moderator called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM and called on the chair to give the report of the Resolutions Committee.
Report of the Resolutions Committee:
Mr. Jimmy Campbell presented the Report. On motion, the Report was concurred in .and labeled Appendix “T“ and filed.
· Mr. Jimmy Campbell shared some of the great things taking place at Crystal Springs Camp.
· Rev. Robert Heflin shared some financial information concerning the Board of Stewardship. Participants are given the opportunity to help our sister churches by investing their monies with the Board.
· On motion, Rev. Jimmy Peyton was elected to the Board of Directors of Crystal Springs Camp.
Reading of Minutes
The Assistant Clerk, Rev. Buddy Pope, read the minutes for the day, and on motion, they were approved as read.
Calendar for 2011
· November 6, 4:00 PM 5th Sunday Youth Rally at Mt. Carmel Church
· November 13, World Day of Prayer for those with AIDS and other life threatening illnesses.
· November 20 Is Bible Sunday
Calendar for 2012:
· January 29 4:00 PM 5th Sunday Youth Rally at McCains Church
v February 1: On or before Annual Congregational Reports are due in the clerk’s office
· March 1, 7:00 PM Presbytery’s boards and committees at Columbia
· March 15, 6:30 PM Presbyterial Council meets in Columbia
· April 22, 3:00 PM Presbytery meets with the Mt Carmel Church
· April 29 4:00 PM 5th Sunday Rally at Chapel Hill Church
· May 3, 10:00 AM Tennessee Synod meets with the Beech Church (Nashville Presbytery) 3216 Long Hollow, Hendersonville, TN.
· June 3-8 Senior High Camp at Crystal Springs Camp
· June 10-15 Junior High Camp at Crystal Springs Camp
· June 17-22, General Assembly in Florence Alabama
· June 25-29 Junior Camp at Crystal Springs Camp
· July CPYC at Bethel College
· September 6, 7:00 PM Presbytery’s boards and committees at Columbia.
· September 20, 6:30 PM Presbyterial Council at Columbia
· October 28, 3:00 PM Presbytery
· Fall /Winter Youth Retreat to be announced
· Summer Youth Mission Trip to be announced
Earlene Rolman – knee replacement surgery Tuesday at Franklin Medical Center
Rev. Calvin Lunn had surgery recently.
Lori Beard (gunshot victim) a member of the Richland Church. (This was not a serious wound and she returned home about 3 AM Monday morning.)
Fonda Blair’s mother and father
Phillip Knight, son of Linda Yates and step son of Scott Yates
Possible suit being brought against one of our churches
Final Attendance Check
The Stated Clerk reported that a quorum was present with 25 Ministers, 2 Licentiate 1 Candidate and 26 Session Delegates present. See Appendix “A”
The Moderator led Presbytery in the closing prayer.
Presbytery stood adjourned to meet Sunday, April 22, 2012 with the Mt. Carmel Church
Copyright Columbia Presbytery & Scott Yates, 2005-2013